Thursday, January 27, 2011

Was thinking about this for some time. Watched this movie on the plane on the way to Hong Kong from Singapore during the holidays.
Going The Distance was released last year, starring Justin Long and Drew Barrymore. So basically the story is about how this man and woman meet in some bar in New York, start going out and end up becoming a couple. Erin (played by Barrymore) was still studying and lived in another state of the US. They have a long distance relationship and the movie shows how they go about the process and some problems they start to have here and there.

In a way the fundamentals of the movie made me wonder about lond distance relationships. Well, bringing it down to our own age group first, the longest distance a guy and a girl could be having would be that he stays at one end of Singapore and she stays at the other end. As students that might be a problem but I guess once we go into the working world then little things like these don't matter. However, let's say like within the couple, one of them wishes to study overseas? Or is forced to have move? I have a few friends who seem to be in a situation like this. Simply put, what's gonna happen to the relationship? Well, if both parties are agreeable, the straightforward answer might perhaps be keeping in touch as much as possible? I'm sure there are many cases happening right now for this. The fundamental question would be this, how would one react if presented with such a situation? An extension of it would be a married couple, with say the husband being posted overseas to work. Though for this case the answer might be much more clearcut for some. My own parents went through this too, hence my early childhood days of living in London and Taiwan before returning back to SG. I heard my Sec 4 chinese teacher also relocated for a bit with her husband, probably only coming back in a few years. So there you have it. Of course, circumstances vary across different people so the outcome might be different. Perhaps if one day I should be faced with these situations (more so of the studying seperately scenario I guess), how would/should I react? I guess when (if) the time comes,
then I'll have to think about it.

Just food for thought I guess, I just hope that it didn't sound too pathetically childish, since people my age are supposed to be more 'mature' in their thinking (which I seem unable to follow at times). I was pretty amazed at the depth that people go into for a certain topic we kinda discussed about during the stayover. I guess I still have a lot to learn. At the same time, you do wish you could be more helpful to people sometimes. I realise my abilities are really inadequate for anything in society at this point of time. I really doubt anything I do nowadays, self esteem problem perhaps. Nonetheless, as they say, upgrade. The absence of schooling seems to have made me have the lack of 'doing' things, and I seem to be a little unwilling to do much :/

Okay it's going to be pretty packed with some things for the next few days. On a very random side note, I seem to miss drills a little again. Oh well...

I can't really remember if I posted this before, but it never fails to capture my attention. For those that can appreciate classical music still, I think this performance is brilliant. Humour present, yet it makes classical music really interesting

We Will Survive: Igudesman & Joo + Kremer & Kremerata

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

How to make a Bryan
Ingredients:
5 parts anger
5 parts self-sufficiency
1 part beauty
Method:
Blend at a low speed for 30 seconds. Add a little cocktail umbrella and a dash of fitness

Personality cocktail
From Go-Quiz.com